Sunday 7 October 2007

A bit of cultcha

I went to the theatre last night with two friends from book group. we went to see The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist a play from the book of the same name written by Robert Tressell. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist (TRTP) is a classic novel. It is brilliantly written drawing you into the lives and hardships of the characters whilst smacking you in the face (without you really noticing it) of the injustices that were around then and are still around today. Rich v Poor etc. TO put this monumental novel onto the stage to me seemed impossible to carry off. But it was some of the best acting i have ever seen. The venue was The Hat Factory in Luton. The stage is small and the atmosphere intimate - we were less than 6ft away from the stage. The stage was the same level as us. Just 4 actors played all the parts, one of which was female. It is impossible for me to put into words the effect the acting had on us. It was true to the book completely, and everybody left the theatre with an awe struck expression. Sadly it was only on for one night at this venue as it is touring the country. If you live in England click here for all of the dates.

I am now off to make a complicated bag which not only has embroidery on it but also pleats - now where is the bottle of gin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3 comments:

Ali said...

Oh darn, nowhere near me. Well, if I can't see the play you recommended, at least I can join you in a glass of something...

Susanne said...

How great that you had a nice evening out.

Are you sure the gin will be helping with the pleats and embroidery?

OhSoVintage said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I haven't read the book but may suggest it to my reader's group. Love the pixie hat on your little girl. I have done my share of school trips in the rain, believe me and I laughed when I read about looking for the gin as, when I returned home from our holiday my bottle of gin was missing! My daughter had seen it empty in the kitchen and my 18 year old son said he and his friends had run out of beer so moved on to the gin and anyway, some of it was water where he had been topping it up over the months!!!!